news_on_fire

This is about doing a commentary or critique on a certain news, mostly the current events and issues. It will also include the insights, opinions and suggestions of the blogger. In this blog, a certain news will be put on fire and "cooked". Every detail will be examined by keen eyes.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

SONA: A Political Campaign?

"House Deputy Minority Leader Roilo Golez called President Macapagal-Arroyo's State of the Nation Address a political campaign speech."
I read this statement as I browse through the frontpage of the Inquirer yesterday. I agree that somehow GMA's SONA on monday was a form of political campaign speech. I have observed that throughout her speech, lots of names of officials from the different areas in the country were mentioned. And not only mentioned by the President, they were praised for a job "well-done".
I think GMA has used her SONA to uplift the heart of the officials she mentioned who are mostly her allies. For me, the rationale behind this is that Arroyo wants to maintain the support of her allies and gain more support in her administration. When more supporters, GMA is more likely to stay in her position. Through highlighting these officials in her speech, she tried to catch their heart and attention. She hoped to gain more support in her administration as she tries to battle with her ousters.
For me, as she delivered her speech, she's like saying "See, I have recognized you, therefore, you must recognize me and support me all the way."
Another thing that made the recently held SONA a political campaign speech is that the President didn't discuss what were the things done in the past year. She has only proposed different projects and more promises to Filipinos. I think, she has used the SONA to "serenade" the people to still be with her because of the many projects presented. GMA has really used her wits just to stay in her seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home